Our newest Outreach Vehicle is our mobile outreach classroom which we call the
SS NaSA PoD
This is short for
Science Steve's Nature and Science Adventure Pod of Discovery.
We use the PoD as a mobile outreach classroom to bring our programming to schools, camps, and other organizations in a ventilated, "covid-safe," outdoor environment.
The PoD has been in service bringing nature, wildlife, renewable energy/EV, indigenous music, and science awareness and appreciation to campers, students, and our outreach programming participants in the WNC area since the spring of 2022. Please contact us if you would like to experience a wildlife, nature, or science program from the SS NaSA PoD.
An early photo of the PoD just after we installed the 1.78 kW solar array.
While in service, the PoD is still a work in progress. Currently, it includes the following systems.
- 1780-watt bifacial solar array on a custom-fabricated aluminum and steel frame.
- Victron power management and 800aH LiFePo battery storage system
- 12 "habitat pods" to provide climate-regulated housing for our education animals while on "expo"
- OVS Nomadic 270 awning (w/walls when needed) covering the teaching area
- PA/Sound system with Lavalier microphones
- Microscope station w/2 scopes
- Flatscreen monitor for the showing of nature and science documentaries and/or telescope/microscope use
- Real-time environmental monitoring system that includes: weather, air quality, and local area video monitoring and security system
- External power outlets 120 VAC x 2, 5VDC (USB) x 2, 12 VDC x 1
- External power inlets 240 VAC 50 Amp J-1772 EVSE x 1, 240 VAC NEMA 14-50 x 1 w 25' cable
- Internal power outlets: 120 VAC x 2, 12 VDC x 3, 5VDC x 4
- Potable freshwater inlets: City water attachment x 1, gravity feed potable H2o port x 1
- Potable freshwater outlet x 2 (for filling water bottles, dog's bowls, etc.)
- Full wet bathroom with sink, shower, and toilet.
- 18 gallons onboard freshwater storage
- 120 VAC 6-gallon hot water heater
- LED lighting inside and out
- Bunk arrangement: 1 Double bed, 1 bunk above the dinette area
- Cook nook includes a sink, inductive cooktop, and 12 VDC fridge/freezer.
- Spare tire.
The things that remain before the PoD will be fully completed (to be completed in 2023 - 2024).
- Field guide library and "Little Free Library" style library systems (these will be mounted on the PoD's future all-electric tow vehicle)
- USB device charging station for public use at festivals (in the design phase - will be mounted on the PoD's future tow vehicle)
- Telescope station (in the design phase)
- Composting toilet (this will eventually replace the standard water-wasting toilet)
- 100% electric tow vehicle for The PoD - read more about it here.
To everyone who has supported this project with your donations, expertise, time, and tools - you are all heroes!
The PoD is 99.9% finished! We hope to have it fully completed by the spring of 2024. Please consider supporting us via the link below so we can make more awesome happen! www.earthshinenature.com/donate
Read the entire story of the PoD on our blog:
Direct link: https://earthshinenature.wordpress.com/
Watch all the PoD construction videos on its YouTube playlist
From Steve and the crew at Earthshine Nature Programs
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE who has helped us make all this awesome possible!!!